Thursday, January 18, 2024

Welcome to Spring 2024 EME 2040-002!



Hello everyone,

Welcome again to Spring 2024, EME 2040. I am your instructor, Shiyao, for this course. I am a second-year PhD student at ISLT(Instructional Systems and Learning Technology), FSU. My major research interests focus on meaningful learning interactions that occur between individuals in informal environments.

Our interaction with information and knowledge has dramatically changed since my childhood. I used to ask for my classmates' home phone numbers to call them for assignments because I always forgot assignments right after came home. But today, who asks for another’s home number? It looks weird. Alternatively, I asked assignments and class details (if it’s not archived digitally) on Messenger and other many tools. This is not the only technology has changed our way of communication, more tools are impacting individual’s daily knowledge and interaction with the outside world. 

While today's classrooms haven't changed significantly in the past twenty years, the landscape of the informal learning environment has indeed evolved as we now utilize various tools for information seeking, knowledge building, and skill development. As researchers and educators for future citizens, we need to be aware of these changes and prepare future learners for these changes in diverse learning environments. What characteristics is the most proficient informal learner equipped? What kind of learning literacy do we need to develop in this era? What kind of community enhances specific informal learning? The answer to this Ultimate Question of Learning is not about technology itself, but more about learners themselves. 

My research interests revolve around informal learning environments. I am intrigued by the meaningful learning interactions that occur between individuals in informal environments. I am interested in how these observations and practices can guide us in preparing future lifelong learners. I am looking forward to learning together with you in this class and exploring the meaningful learning interactions in this process. 

Speaking of my personal learning network, I will use cooking as an example. I learned recipes from family and friends, and Internet searches (including social media, search engines, and magazines). Specifically, I followed a few IG accounts about cooking and searched on the New York Times. The most recent dish I made was grilled pork ribs, and it turned out amazing. 
Grilled Pork Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment